When Jake Isaac Freeman came across a four-wheeler on an Ashburton bike trail, he angrily took matters into his own hands.
The 25-year-old Dunsandel man appeared before Judge Dominic Dravitzki in the Ashburton District Court on Monday for sentencing on four assault charges.
Three of the charges, including one of assault with intent to injure, stemmed from an incident at the bike track on August 28 last year.
The court heard that Freeman was with a group of friends at the motorbike track outside Ashburton, which he believed was for two-wheel vehicles only. He became angry when a group arrived with a four-wheel farm bike and told them to "f**k off".
When Freeman walked up to them in an intimidating manner, the group went further up the road. Freeman followed and told them to leave. An altercation ensued and Freeman let a punch fly toward the temple of one of the group. The man fell to the ground.
When the man got up, Freeman "hit him flat again", the judge said.
When one of Freeman's associates came to intervene, Freeman slapped his friend in the face.
The fourth charge of assault related to an incident outside Freeman's previous home in Christchurch. Someone had parked in a way that blocked access to his driveway. Freeman punched the man's nose, drawing blood.
The altercation was broken up by members of the public.
Freeman, who has been on intensive supervision since 2021, had since moved to Dunsandel.
Judge Dravitzki said he had a "significant criminal history" including 10 driving while disqualified charges, as well as charges for assault, family violence, intentional damage, and resisting police. His current sentence of intensive supervision ends on August 31.
Freeman was engaging with probation, was in a supportive relationship, and had kept out of trouble since moving to Dunsandel, Judge Dravitzki.
He sentenced Freeman to a further 15 months' intensive supervision and gave him four months' community detention with an 8pm - 6am curfew.
*****Large fine for a web of lies
He lied to Fish & Game rangers to avoid a $300 fine.
Instead, a Hampstead man ended up in court with a hefty $1900 bill to pay.
James Kamoe, 38, was fishing at the Ohau Canals near Twizel about 11.45pm on October 21 last year, when a fisheries officer asked to see his sports fishing licence.
Kamoe said his licence was in his car about a kilometre away, and provided a false registration number.
He was given time to send proof of his licence, but did not do so. When officials followed up, he denied being at the canal and said his cousin, who had since returned to his home overseas, had used his name.
On November 8, Fish & Game rangers visited Kamoe at home and identified him from the night in October. Kamoe again denied being at the canal and said two of his cousins had taken his car to the canal to fish.
However, a query to Customs found there were no travel records for the dates and name provided for Kamoe's cousin.
Judge Dravitzki said Kamoe admitted a charge of fishing without a licence and two charges of providing false information. He faced a maximum penalty of 12 months in prison or a $100,000 fine.
"It was an expensive exercise that has escalated really badly."
He was fined $300 for fishing without a licence, a further $600 each for the two charges of providing false information, and was ordered to pay $400 toward the prosecution costs.
****Bike thief lectured
A teenager's pride and joy, which he had saved up for, was nabbed by a bike thief.
Judge Dravitzki gave said 51-year-old thief, Allenton man Jason Richard Beckley, a series of lectures about the effect his offending had on the young teen who had bought the bike with his savings.
"How would you feel if this was your son? This is nasty offending with consequences for the young man."
Beckley had earlier admitted stealing the mountain bike, valued at $5600, on March 12.
The insurance company had paid out $1934, leaving the teen unable to replace the bike with a similar model.
"It was the pride and joy of the 16-year-old who saved for it."
Judge Dravitzki said the bike was locked outside an Ashburton movie theatre when Beckley cut the chain and stole the bike.
"It's a real setback for a kid at that age."
The judge acknowledged Beckley had found himself "in a spot", having lost his income.
Beckley had a history of criminal convictions, but none since 2019.
He was ordered to pay reparation to the insurance company of $1934, and an emotional harm payment to the victim of $2600 - payable at $30 a week.
He was also sentenced to 80 hours' community work.
******Two family violence charges
Pendarves woman Annastasis Te Ora Peters, 37, was given intensive supervision and community work for assaulting her partner and 15-year-old daughter.
Judge Dravitzki said Peters got into a heated verbal argument with her daughter at home on January 15. When the daughter went to leave the kitchen, Peters grabbed her around the base of the neck.
The daughter pushed Peters away. When Peters' husband came to intervene, he was also pushed.
There was no intention to impede the daughter's breathing, Judge Dravitski said. "Nonetheless it was serious offending."
There was a very brief victim impact statement from both parties saying they did not want charges to proceed further, but they had.
Peters had previous relevant criminal convictions, including assault with intent to injure in 2018.
Peters' lawyer Douglas Brown said she was bipolar and had endured mental health struggles for years. The relationship with her partner had a fair amount of "gaslighting" and emotional trauma and had now ended, he said.
Peters was also dealing with the death of another daughter at the time, Brown said.
Judge Dravitzki sentenced Peters to 12 months' intensive supervision and 150 hours of community work.
Drinking eight stubbies at a work function before getting behind the wheel has earned an Allenton man an alcohol interlock sentence.
Allenton man Heremaia Te Kohu Marks, 25, blew 1038mcg of alcohol per litre of breath when stopped by police on East Street at 12.25am on June 11.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Stuart Whyte said Marks told police he'd consumed eight stubbies of beer.
Duty lawyer Paul Bradford said Marks was at work function and make a bad decision to drive.
The high level meant he would be subject to an alcohol interlock, Judge Dravitzki said.
Marks was fined $1000 and disqualified from driving for 28 days. After that, he can apply for an alcohol interlock licence and eventually a zero alcohol licence.
****First drink driving conviction
Allenton woman Jamie Leah Chapman, 32, admitted drink driving on June 11.
She blew 576mcg when stopped by police on East Street. She told police she had seven cans of a vodka drink.
Judge Dravitzki convicted Chapman, disqualified her from driving for six months and fined her $650.
****Remanded in custody
Tawhiri Matea Hemi, 22, was remanded in custody after admitting seven charges stemming from an incident on July 6.
Judge Dravitzki said the charges came from an extended incident of family harm following an argument with Hemi's partner at a laundromat. Hemi left and took a vehicle, which he drove into his partner's vehicle and a fence while driving dangerously and speeding.
The vehicles and fence were all damaged. Hemi also stole a jersey from the car he took off in.
The charges include intentional damage of the vehicles, possession of a screw driver and vicegrip for stealing vehicles, theft of jersey valued at $150, taking a vehicle for his own use, damage of a fence, and sustained loss of traction.
Hemi will appear again on October 2 for sentencing.
Allenton man Farid Shahabi Mohammad, 39, changed an earlier guilty plea to not guilty on a charge of family violence on October 27 last year.
Mohammad's lawyer Tiffany McRae said there was some miscommunication about what was required for diversion, which was not completed.
McRae said Mohammad had elected to have a judge-alone trial. He will appear again on September 18.
***Remanded without plea
Timaru man Simon John Spring, 59, was remanded without plea on charges of assaulting a child under three, and several drug charges.
He will appear again on August 7.
Tinwald man Preston Gary Ruck, 34, changed his plea to guilty after earlier denying breaching a protection order against his former father-in-law on May 2.
Sentencing was remanded to September 4 to allow for a restorative justice meeting.
***Conviction and discharge
Ashburton man Cameron Roger Leahy, 30, was convicted and discharged on a charge of failing to report to probation for a supervision sentence on March 28.
The court was told that Leahy had since engaged with probation.
A warrant for arrest was issued for Christopher Anthony Walter Hullen, 38, who failed to appear in court on a charge of breaching his community detention sentence on February 8.
By Sharon Davis